Florida Highway Patrol troopers are investigating a trucking accident that seriously injured three people on Jan. 11. They report that the accident occurred around 5 p.m. at the intersection of S.R. 44A and Forestdel Drive when a car driven by a 22-year-old DeLand man turned into the path of a tractor-trailer. The driver and two passengers, the driver’s 43-year-old father and a 44-year-old man, were airlifted to Orlando Regional Medical Center, where they are being treated for undisclosed injuries. The accident closed S.R. 44A while troopers conducted their investigation, and the road was reopened a few hours after the accident. Troopers say that charges are pending in connection with the accident.
Due to their size and weight, collisions involving semi trucks often causes fatalities and serious injuries for anyone driving or riding in smaller vehicles. There are more than two million tractor-trailers on U.S. roadways, and, for every 100 million miles traveled by these big rigs, there are an average of 2.3 fatalities and 60.5 people injured. Other sobering trucking accident statistics include these:
- There are more than 400,000 accidents involving large trucks on U.S. roadways every year.
- Around 130,000 people are injured and 3,700 are killed each year in trucking accidents.
- Driver fatigue is the primary cause of 30 percent of all trucking accidents.
- Trucking accidents cause one in eight traffic fatalities.
- A person is injured or killed in a trucking accident every 16 minutes in the U.S.
- Tractor-trailers weigh 20 to 30 times more than passenger vehicles.
- Driver fatigue is the most common cause of trucking accidents.
- At highway speeds, a fully loaded tractor-trailer can take the length of a football field or more to come to a complete stop.
If you or a member of your family has been injured in a trucking accident and you would like to speak with an experienced Orlando trucking accident attorney, call 888-FLA-AUTO (888-352-2886) to schedule a free consultation with James O. Cunningham. Mr. Cunningham has more than 36 years of experience as an Orlando personal injury lawyer helping injured people receive the compensation they need to recover from their injuries. Call today to get his skills and experience on your side!
James O. Cunningham
Since 1977, personal injury lawyer James Cunningham has provided effective legal advocacy to people who are injured through the negligent actions of another person or entity throughout the Central Florida area. He fights to obtain recoveries for his clients’ physical and emotional pain and suffering and pursues his clients’ personal injury cases with a commitment to excellence and impeccable preparation.
Connect with James O. Cunningham on Google+
If you or someone you love has been injured in a vehicle accident, call toll-free at 1-888-FLA-Auto (1-888-352-2886).
Verdicts & Settlements
- Rear End Car Accident:
$3.75 Million Recovery
- Semi-Truck Accident:
$1.5 Million Recovery
- Van Rollover:
$1.2 Million Wrongful Death Recovery
- Rear End Bus Accident:
- Truck Collides with Cow: